The participation of the national team of Nigeria in the 2019 Basketball World Cup is at risk, due to a lack of funds.
Last week, many of the players took to social media and informed the public that their World Cup money had not been released by the Ministry of Sports, which is the team’s only source of funding.
The team was scheduled to leave for China on Monday (19/08), but General Manager Musa Adamu told reporters during the weekend that all of that is now up in the air.
“I cannot tell you exactly when the team is leaving for China. The team is here in Nigeria but there are no funds available for now. The federation is looking to the ministry with the hope that funds will be released for us to leave,” Adamu said.
Nigeria is in Group B, along with Argentina, Russia and Korea.