Jon Jones vs. Dominick Reyes is a go.
ESPN’s Brett Okamoto revealed that UFC president Dana White informed him that Jones will defend his light heavyweight championship against Reyes on Feb. 8. The bout will headline a UFC pay-per-view in Houston, Texas. BJPenn.com‘s Chris Taylor first brought word of the matchup.
Jones hasn’t been in action since July. He successfully defended his 205-pound gold against Thiago Santos via split decision in the main event of UFC 239. Reyes is coming off a first-round finish over former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman at UFC Boston.
Reyes is a perfect 12-0 in his pro MMA career. Seven of his victories have come by way of knockout and two by submission. Many view Jones as being undefeated with his lone loss being a controversial disqualification against Matt Hamill back in 2009.
Also set for the Feb. 8 card is a women’s flyweight title clash. Champion Valentina Shevchenko is scheduled to defend her title against Katlyn Chookagian.
Here are some of the matchups on tap for UFC 247.
- UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jon Jones (c) vs. Dominick Reyes
- UFC Women’s Flyweight Championship: Valentina Shevchenko (c) vs. Katlyn Chookagian
- Andrea Lee vs. Lauren Murphy
- Mirsad Bektic vs. Dan Ige
- Ovince Saint Preux vs. Ryan Spann
- Juan Adams vs. Justin Tafa